Study at Taronga Zoo Sydney - winner of Australia's major tourist attraction for the last three years and a member of the Hall of Fame!
The Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture) is a course that provides an opportunity to study and gain on the job practical skills in one of Australia’s leading tourism environments.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in a range of job roles in the tourism industry in organisations with an Indigenous focus. These include tour operators or operators of a site or cultural or heritage center. Individuals may have a very specific role, as an Australian Indigenous person or other individual approved by local elders to share aspects of their culture with visitors in a formal or informal way.
This course is a Stage 5 VET/ Board Endorsed course applicable to Year 10 students as a Record of School Achievement (RoSA). It is a combination of in-class study and practical on site work experience activities.
This course does not run during NSW public school holidays.
Course entry requirements
- Students are expected to attend all classroom lessons
- Students must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen
- Students must be able to make their own way to and from Taronga Zoo Sydney. Public transport is available to the Zoo by trains, ferries or buses
- Students must have written permission from their school principal/careers advisor to participate in the course
- Students must have written permission from a parent/guardian to participate in the course
- Students are required to wear the provided Taronga Training Institute uniform and enclosed footwear at all times when attending Taronga
- Students should bring a laptop computer (preferable) or tablet computer to classes if possible
Units of competency
- SITTGDE001 Interpret aspects of local Australian Indigenous culture
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
- SITXCCS001 Provide Customer Information and assistance
- SITXCOM001 Source and present information
- BSBCMM101 Apply basic communication skills
- SITXCOM002 Show social and cultural sensitivity
Note: All 6 units (core and elective) must be completed to gain the Certificate I Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture).
Upon successful completion of SIT10116 Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture), continuous study options are available, including Certificate II in Tourism (SIT20116) and Certificate III in Tourism (SIT30116). For further pathways, please see our full list of accredited training.
If you are still attending school
- An initial expression of interest must be submitted by your school via the EVET system on behalf of the student. Please note expressions of interests/applications will not be accepted in any other form
- Enrolment in this course needs to be coordinated with the students’ school
- Entry Requirements: Students will be required to submit further documentation, upon request. Students must meet the selection criteria and demonstrate good English skills, both written and verbal, and basic numeracy skills
- Applicants will be required to complete an enrolment form in due course. This will be forwarded to the Student by their school once a formal offer of a position has been made by Taronga Training Institute
Important: Acceptance into the course will be based on merit (subject to students meeting minimum entry requirements) and is NOT first in first served
Frequently asked questions
We have captured the most common questions and answers about studying at Taronga.