This course is ideal for those who wish to develop a range of skills and knowledge in tourism services and operations. This qualification provides you with a flexible career pathway to work for a wide variety of employers across many sectors of the tourism industry. This course includes a combination of online delivery plus onsite days at Taronga Zoo Sydney.
The Certificate III in Tourism provides individuals with knowledge and skills to:
- Provide service and advice to customers on tourism products and services
- Prepare and present tour commentaries or activities to tour groups
- Prepare specialised interpretive content on cultural & heritage environments
- Research and share general information on Australian Indigenous cultures
- Sell products and services
- Participate in safe and environmentally sustainable work practices
- Course Structure: This course includes a combination of online delivery plus onsite days at Taronga Zoo Sydney. The online components include student support with online webinars. The onsite activities are conducted in a variety of tourism related areas of the zoo such as customer service, direction and assistance and tour operations
- On-site Sessions: There are mandatory on-site sessions at the zoo (approx 1-2 days per month).These onsite days are focused on practical experience and assessment activities and are usually conducted on a Friday- but may be subject to change
- Study Load:
- This course requires 4 - 6 hours of independent study per week plus 6 mandatory onsite sessions and online webinar sessions
- The Certificate III Tourism is listed as a 1200 hours course. This includes all face – face time with TTI as well as independent study. Depending on your level of skill and prior knowledge, you may find that you require more / less independent study than others in the course
- Location: Onsite days are conducted at Taronga Zoo Sydney, Bradleys Head Road, Mosman
- Uniform: All students are provided with a Taronga uniform and are required to wear their uniform when attending the on-site days
- Students must be an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen
- Successful applicants that are under the age of 18 will need provide written permission from a parent/guardian to participate in the course
- Students will need access to a computer, or tablet, and the internet to participate in the course
Units of competency
These units of study are delivered and assessed in sets with a onsite session in each set.
Core Unit Set 1
- SITTIND001 Source and use information on the tourism and travel industry
- SITTTSL001 Operate an online information system
Core Unit Set 2
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
Core Unit Set 3
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- SITXCOM002 Show social and cultural sensitivity
- SITXCCS002 Provide visitor information
Core Unit Set 4
- SITTTSL002 Access and interpret product information
- SIRXPDK001 Advise on products and services
- SIRXSLS001 Sell to the Retail Customer
Core Unit Set 5
- SITTGDE004 Lead tour groups
- SITTGDE005 Prepare and present tour commentaries or activities
- SITTGDE010 Prepare specialised interpretive content on cultural &heritage environments
- SITTGDE007 Research and share general information on Australian Indigenous cultures
Note: The Certificate III in Tourism consists of 15 Units of Competency. In order to achieve the qualification SIT30116 Certificate III in Tourism, all of the 15 units listed will need to be successfully completed.
This course allows you to develop a variety of skills and experience to support employment in a range of industry workplaces including retail, tour operations, tour wholesalers and attractions.
Possible job opportunities may include:
- Zoos, wildlife parks, theme parks (attractions attendant, retail assistance, guest services, discovery host)
- Customer Service (customer service agent, operations officer)
- Guiding (tour guide, specialist guide, activities coordinator, ranger, museum attendant)
- Visitor Information Services (bookings/sales agent, visitor information officer)
- Tourism operations (customer service and reservations)
Students who successfully complete this qualification may choose to continue their study pathway in courses such as the Certificate IV in Guiding and the Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management. Please note this course is not offered at Taronga. Other qualifications can be completed at other RTO’s: www.training.gov.au
Applications are currently closed. More information on the next intake will be made available soon.
Frequently asked questions
How is this course assessed?
Course assessments are a combination of written answers to questions, reports, case studies, projects, practical activities, observations of students performing tasks, self-assessments and supervisor reports.
Do I have to wear a uniform?
Accepted applicants are required to wear the Taronga Training Institute uniform consisting of a polo shirt at all times when they are on site. One item of uniform is included in the qualification fee. If a student enrols in a single study period the cost of the uniform is in addition to the enrolment fee. Additional items can be purchased at $45 per item. Orders and payment details must be included on the enrolment form.
When do classes start/how long does the course run?
The Certificate III in Tourism can be commenced at anytime throughout the year. An individual study plan will be created between yourself and the trainer to suit your specific study needs. It is expected that full course qualification will take around 20 weeks to complete
What career options does the Certificate III in Tourism give me?
The certificate prepares you for jobs within the tourism industry sector such as a Attractions Attendant, Tourism Guide, Tour Coordinator, Booking Agent & Sales Consultant.
I have some general questions about studying with Taronga
We have captured the most common questions and answers about studying at Taronga on our general frequently asked questions page.